Sausage Gravy and Biscuits (Dinner- Day 10)

Friday, April 23, 2010

As I mentioned earlier today this was a very trying day for me. When it came to dinner, I wanted something nice and comforting. I thought about making pancakes, but, seriously, I can't even flip a grilled cheese sandwich. It's a horror what I do to a pancake.

So, I thought I'd try my hand at some homemade biscuits and gravy. Biscuits and gravy have a special place in my heart. The first night I met my husband we ended up at IHOP sharing biscuits and gravy at 4 in the morning, so there's a different sort of comfort that comes to me from those teeny bits of doughy goodness. You can find the recipe I used here (or just scroll down the page). I've made homemade biscuits before so not much of a challenge there. Gravy on the other hand...

Gravy is something that comes out of a package and you add water to it. End of story. I've never tried it any other way. But, I didn't have any packaged gravy (darn challenge) so I tried my hand at homemade sausage gravy. IT WAS FANTASTIC. I'll have to make 2 batches next time the kids were literally scraping of the pan. And it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Trust me, if this joke of a cook can do it you can to...

Sausage Gravy

Ingredients
sausage (1 lb), milk (1/2 - 2 cups), flour (8 tbsp)


Method to the Madness

1. Brown the sausage in a pan.

2. Add flour a tbsp at a time

3. Add milk and stir constantly.
Depending on the consistency you want is how much milk you want to use.

4. Salt and pepper to your liking.





Baking Powder Biscuits

(from a 1933 Recipe
)

Ingredients:

2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tablespoons butter or shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
about 3/4 cup milk

Sift Flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Cut in shortening or butter. (this is where I use my hands by rubbing the butter into the flour). Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed. Turn out on slightly floured board and lightly "knead" for 30 seconds, enough to shape. Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 inch floured biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits. You can also make tiny tea biscuits that are only 1 1/2 inches wide with a small cutter or glass bottom. These are great served with tea, jam or honey. Makes 24.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Out Of That Box Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino