French Toast Casserole - (Breakfast - Day 7)

Monday, April 19, 2010

I had a nice Betty Crocker moment in the kitchen cooking breakfast as all the sleepy eyed kiddos wandered in following the sweet cinnamon-y aroma this morning. Big change from before this challenge when I would still be sleeping as they're helping themselves to Poptarts.

There, of course, was a moment before I emulated Betty Crocker and seemed more like the Incredible Hulk. That's what happens when your casserole is ready for the oven and, for the life of you, you know that you saw that cinnamon somewhere...



and then you remember you saw it while brushing your teeth! Yep. That's my bathroom. And that's my cinnamon. I like to think that there is a cute little gnome who roams my house at night and plays funny little pranks on me. (Don't spoil my illusion - it's the only thing that keeps my kiddos alive)

Anyway, I made French Toast Casserole (click for recipe) this morning because that's what I had in my pantry. It's very simple. I kind of over cooked it but the kids still liked it.

I'm trying something new so that I can get the full effect of this challenge. I am going to compare products that I would normally serve to my children throughout the day to see how what I am doing now is improving it.
French Toast Casserole vs Aunt Jemima French Toast Sticks

French Toast Casserole
Nutritional Information: Calories (per serving): 207 , Total Fat: 7.2 g
Ingredients: bread (ground whole wheat flour, water, brown sugar, yeast, wheat gluten) , milk, sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla

French Toast Sticks
Nutritional Information: Calories (per serving): 280 , Total Fat: 10 g
Ingredients: Bread, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate), Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Water, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, Yeast and 2 percent other

French Toast Casserole is a better option and I guarantee it makes your house smell better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Out Of That Box Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino