Chocolate Pie (Dessert - Day 15)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Desserts are back! Yay. Not because my children have improved their behavior but because Momma needs some chocolate.

I have attempted in the past to make pie crust. I actually attempted it on Thanksgiving Day and failed miserably.

With two hours until dinner.

When I was the only one bringing the pies.

I cried a lot that Thanksgiving.

My sister, Stephanie, felt so bad for me that she bought a nice pie crust in a box for me that year for Christmas. We're thoughtful like that.

So, with a couple of years worth of cooking under my belt, I thought I'd give it another shot. And then I found this recipe.

And the angels rejoiced.

Are you kidding me?, I thought. A pie crust that I don't have to roll out, that only takes 5 ingredients, that I don't even have to use a bowl to mix it! The baking gods surely were smiling on me today. My next thought was that it probably tasted like dirt. I have a way looking at things from both angles. It's a gift.

However, it did not taste like dirt. It wasn't the best pie crust ever, but for quick desserts at home or if you're in a pinch it works. I'm going to give you the new and improved recipe I used because I know you're going to want to jump up and make this.

Easy Pie Crust

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons milk
Method to the Madness

1. Mix all ingredients in a 9" pie plate.

2. Press into bottom of pan and onto sides.

3. Poke holes into the bottom and sides.

4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

5. Fill with favorite pie filling.

*** if you're pie filling needs to cook it is not necessary to bake the crust first, or so I've heard

Chocolate Pie Filling

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 2 tbsp. cocoa
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tbsp. butter
Method to the Madness

1. Mix cocoa, sugar, flour, and salt in saucepan.

2. Add egg yolks and half cup of milk.

3. Stir.

4. Add remaining milk and bring to a boil.

5. Stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.

6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.

7. Stir until it cools.

8. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate.

or, you could just buy a pack of instant pudding, mix it up, and make a pie that way. It's still homemade, right?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Out Of That Box Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino