Homemade Chicken and Noodles (Dinner - Day 8)

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tonight I was going to make taco soup. Unfortunately, I had no idea how long kidney beans took to cook, so... look for them tomorrow. I resorted to homemade chicken and noodles. I decided that I was going to try my hand at my own noodles and have been putting it off. Mainly because it seemed like a lot of work. I know, I know, I am that lazy.

It was, however, one of these easiest recipes I've tried.

Ingredients
flour (around 5 - 6 cups), egg (4), water, salt, pepper, whole cut up chicken


Method to the Madness

1. Mix 1 egg with half a shell of water
2. Add flour, a half cup at a time (up to 2 cups) until stiff dough forms
3. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick (Repeat up to 4 times for a full pot of noodles)
4. Cut using a knife.
Or, if you have a super awesome grandmother like I do, you can use your noodle cutter she bought you for when you were planning on marrying "that other boy". It looks something like this:


5. Meanwhile, boil chicken until juices run clear.
6. Remove from water and let cool.
7. Skin, debone, and cut up chicken.
8. Throw back into the pot along with noodles and cook for about 20 minutes.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Voila!

**Note: If you choose to only use chicken breasts, especially skinless ones, you will need to add chicken boullion or prepared chicken broth to give it flavor. **

I normally make this using No Yolk Egg Noodles, so here's a break down of the difference

Homemade Noodles vs No Yolk Egg Noodles

Homemade Noodles (68 grams)
Calories: 168 Fat: 1.6 g


No Yolk Egg Noodles
Calories: 210 Fat: .5 g

Not enough of a difference as far as nutitional value and ingredients to really warrant making a change. However, the homemade taste of the noodles surpassed the packaged one hands down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Out Of That Box Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino