Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (Lunch - Day 8)

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Grilled cheese is a favorite of mine. I cannot for the life of me cook it, though. I always, always burn it. Everytime. Never fails. Even today. I went through 2 sandwiches before I got the timing right. This is why I loved Grilled Cheese Uncrustables so much. Perfect everytime. But, this challenge kept me from my beloved Uncrustables. I miss you Uncrustables but I don't think that we can be friends any longer.

Because we had toast this morning I opted out of buttering the bread for the grilled cheese and just sprayed the pan with cooking spray and threw it on. The taste wasn't altered all that much and it was healthier to boot.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich vs Uncrustable Grilled Cheese

Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Calories: 210 Fat: 11 g
Ingredients : Whole Wheat Bread (stone ground whole wheat flour, water, brown sugar, yeast, wheat gluten), cheddar cheese slice (milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes)

Uncrustables Grilled Cheese
Calories: 140 Fat: 6 g
Ingredients: BREAD; ENRICHED UNBLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, UNBLEACHED WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, YEAST, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WHEAT GLUTEN, SALT, DOUGH CONDITIONERS (MAY CONTAIN ONE OR MORE OF: DIACETYL TARTARIC ACID ESTERS OF MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES [DATEM], MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, ETHOXYLATED MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, AZODICARBONAMIDE, L-CYSTEINE), YEAST NUTRIENTS (MAY CONTAIN ONE OR MORE OF: MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, AMMONIUM SULFATE), CALCIUM PROPIONATE (MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), CORNSTARCH, ENZYMES (WITH WHEAT). PASTEURIZED PROCESS CHEESE SPREAD: CULTURED MILK AND SKIM MILK, WATER, WHEY (FROM MILK), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CREAM (FROM MILK), CORN SYRUP, LACTIC ACID, SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVE), GUAR GUM, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, ENZYMES.


As you can see, as far as calories and fat are concerned, Uncrustables appear to be more healthy (although they are signifigantly smaller than an average sandwich). However, I'll take the grilled cheese over that list of junk any day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Out Of That Box Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino